On the run with the Nike+ GPS iPhone app

On the run with the Nike+ GPS iPhone app
Though it was mostly accurate, I also noticed quirks with the GPS tracking. On the upside, despite losing the cellular connection on my first run (just after mile one), the finished map didn't show a gap at that point. The app also kept track when I veered off roads into parks and public squares.At other places, however, there were small, unexplained gaps in the route. The maps also showed a much curvier route than I remember taking--I can assure that I didn't run through San Francisco's Opera House--but that's a minor quibble. And in any case, when I used an online GPS pedometer to measure the same routes, the difference between it and the Nike+ GPS maps was less then 4 percent. For bigger discrepancies, the app's integrated calibration feature is an essential tool.Battery lifeThough the app remains active and constantly uses the GPS radio, it didn't require as much battery life as I feared. Indeed, during my first 44-minute run, the battery level dropped from about 45 percent to 31 percent. That's not a huge drain, but I can't imagine the phone lasting for a full marathon. Also, if you take an hour run in the morning, you'd most likely need to power your phone by mid-afternoon.CongratulationsThe app will store your stats for each run in the History database in which you can view the course, total distance, average pace and calories burned. You also can rate each run according to the weather conditions, terrain, and how you felt. When you're ready for more, you can opt to surpass your last run by jogging longer, farther, or faster. And if you're really feeling ambitions, you can choose to beat one of your last records (see the slideshow for more information). Recorded celebrity voices will then congratulate you as you set a new record. Some of the voices, like cyclist Lance Armstrong or marathoner Paula Radcliffe, make sense while others, like comedian Tracy Morgan, don't.Nike also offers a Web portal at Nikeplus.com where you can achieve status levels and get even more data on your runs, including your slowest and fastest miles, and your top speed. The breadth of information available is impressive, and I love that it doesn't require a subscription. Also online you can set personal goals, access training programs, chat in user forums, and challenge other runners to best your performance. That last one appears to involve a lot of tiresome trash-talking. What's missing?It's disappointing that Nike+ GPS only offers elevation data information through the Web portal. That information is particularly useful in a place like San Francisco where hills are hard to avoid when running long distances. As my first course ranged from a low of 39 feet to a high of 447 feet, I would have preferred to see it on my phone while I was on the go. Furthermore, the app doesn't appear to take elevation changes into account when determining your pace.I'd also like to see the app have lap and internal timers for run/walk training (where you take a short walk break after every few minutes of running). Indeed, I became a big fan of this method when training for my first marathon and still use it for long runs more than  4 miles. Hopefully, we'll see this in a future version of the app.